Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share find my items with family so we can see same AirTag?

Posted on May 30, 2022 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 10:02 AM

Unfortunately no.

Because of the way AirTags are architected to provide anonymity and non-trackability by others …

… they can ONLY be viewed ON the Trusted Devices of the single AppleID to which they are registered.

Their location can’t be shared nor can they be located using a browser from https://www.icloud.com/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 10:02 AM in response to speltoni

Unfortunately no.

Because of the way AirTags are architected to provide anonymity and non-trackability by others …

… they can ONLY be viewed ON the Trusted Devices of the single AppleID to which they are registered.

Their location can’t be shared nor can they be located using a browser from https://www.icloud.com/

Jun 6, 2022 3:42 AM in response to arkmarkell

That's

arkmarkell wrote:

... Understand all the privacy red tape but you can already share devices amongst family members in the "Find My" app; so why not items? ...

That's a fair question.

For now it's fundamentally because of the need to maintain anonymity system-wide. (something other vendors DON'T provide)

1) Smart devices (iPhones, iPads, Macs) know WHERE they are; know to WHOM they belong; and consume a LOT of power both determining and communicating that info to a network.

2) AirTags on the other hand, are NOT "smart", whey have no clue as to where they are; don't know to whom they belong, and must operate using only a minuscule amount of power supplied by a tiny battery w/o recharging for an extended period.

"Finding" an AirTag involves the "cooperation" of users who - rightly - expect to NOT be identified, geo-located, or tracked themselves.

This means that YOU are constantly reporting the positions of other user's tags encountered - actually giving YOUR position - w/o knowing to whom the tags belong to AND w/o revealing WHO you are or your position.

It also means that others are reporting the positions of YOUR tags ... but you or Apple don't know the identity and/or location of of the reporting user.

For now at least, maintaining all this anonymity system-wide requires cryptologically linking any one AirTag to the private keys of only one AppleID.

We can't speculate on this forum as to how (or even if) this might evolve in the future, but sharing private keys between users is in-general completely counter to basic cryptologic principles.oru

It's also why you can't see your Airtags in FindMy running in a browser window at https://icloud.com/ (the browser can't access your private keys)

If genuinely interested, there's a much more detailed description here:

Find My security - Apple Support

which continues on to here:

Using Find My to locate missing Apple devices - Apple Support

Jun 5, 2022 10:18 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Understand all the privacy red tape but you can already share devices amongst family members in the "Find My" app; so why not items? The same privacy concerns exist with devices but Apple have overcome/allowed this within the family checks and option. Surely they can replicate this? I think its only a matter of time or Airtag will lose its popularity/market share to competitors which already offer this option.......

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.