Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac asks for the passcode I use to unlock my iPad but it won't let me enter the digits into the 6 blank squares. First square is highlighted but can't put anyting in.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 30, 2022 11:07 AM

4 replies

May 31, 2022 8:55 AM in response to Burnside_Dad

Hello Burnside_Dad,

It sounds like you're unable to enter the two-factor code on your Mac. In order to isolate the cause of this, try the following steps, testing again after each step:

1. Restart your Mac: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Start your Mac in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Test in another user account on your Mac: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Take care.

May 31, 2022 10:15 AM in response to Burnside_Dad

Burnside_Dad,

Got it. Thanks for testing those steps and providing us an update.

What are you doing that is prompting the passcode entry? Are you purchasing something, placing your device in lost mode, or something else? When you texted in another account, was it an Administrative account, a Standard account, or Guest? If you did not create or use an Administrative account, can you try that one more time for us?

Let us know how that goes.

Cheers!

May 31, 2022 10:59 AM in response to ColleenD1

The initial problem came on after I was asked to update my Apple ID Settings. As I went through the process, it asked for my Apple ID (I entered it). Then it asked for the password for my MacBook which I entered. Then it would ask for the Passcode for my iPad which is where the problem occurred.

It may have fixed itself as it didn't ask for my ipad Passcode this time. I set up an Admin account as you suggested. It is hard to know if this helped as it didn't ask the same questions as it was asking on my personal account. At any rate, perhaps (fingers crossed) it got whatever info. it needed to do what it needed to do. I don't see the message to update my Apple ID settings so we'll see.

Thanks for your help.

My Mac asks for the passcode I use to unlock my iPad but it won't let me enter the digits into the 6 blank squares. First square is highlighted but can't put anyting in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.