Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased my iMac off of a private seller and the serial number reads unavailable

I purchased my iMac off of a private seller and the serial number reads unavailable. How can I retrieve the original serial number?

Posted on May 30, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 2:45 PM

The iMac serial number is usually printed on the underside of the pedestal stand.

If the macOS is reporting the s/n as unavailable, I'd say there's a high probability that the logic board was replaced at some point. The s/n should have been addressed by the tech that replaced the board, though an inexperienced tech might not have the tools or know how to do that.

Or maybe there's some legit problem with the currently installed OS.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 2:45 PM in response to MSE777

The iMac serial number is usually printed on the underside of the pedestal stand.

If the macOS is reporting the s/n as unavailable, I'd say there's a high probability that the logic board was replaced at some point. The s/n should have been addressed by the tech that replaced the board, though an inexperienced tech might not have the tools or know how to do that.

Or maybe there's some legit problem with the currently installed OS.

I purchased my iMac off of a private seller and the serial number reads unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.