Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Set Up

FYI before I get started : I'm on iPad (5th generation) v 15.5 , iPhone 7 v 15.5 and MacMini ;

Monterey v 12.4

I bought an iPad (9th gen.) 2021 because I mishandled my current one . The screen has some shattered areas on the surface , though it is operable so I'll it as a spare for looking up directions and maybe some storage . I won't need for it to sync or make backups in iCloud , and it's likely that I won't keep a lot of the apps .

My questions are : I'm about to turn on the new iPad , ( may need to plug it in too) , if the Mac is on sleeping , when I tap my WiFi name , will information begin transferring to the new iPad ? Can I choose what to transfer ( like with Airdrop & iCloud) ? And finally , does transfer / reset leave the previous device empty ?

🤷‍♀️

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 30, 2022 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2022 2:27 AM

Available transfer methods are all-or-nothing. If you need to selectively move files, you must individually move/copy files using AirDrop, iCloud or iTunes (using a PC or Mac computer).

These support pages should get you started with setup of your new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2022 2:27 AM in response to SteelCityAnne

Available transfer methods are all-or-nothing. If you need to selectively move files, you must individually move/copy files using AirDrop, iCloud or iTunes (using a PC or Mac computer).

These support pages should get you started with setup of your new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

May 31, 2022 10:55 AM in response to LotusPilot

Lotus Pilot ; iPad Set Up

I had read most of the articles above but couldn't make a decision . I think I would like to use the backup on my

Mac . . . while the iPad is connected to the desktop , should I check on the syncing situation or will it take care of itself ? Thank you so much for the transfer information , others have set up my devices in the past so I wished to seek advice before setting up this one .

* * * It's remarkable that I have been using Apple for 19 years and still ask for help ! And the community has the best answers . 💯

🙏

iPad Set Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.