Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Counting matching pairs of checkboxes

I have a table with mainly three columns, the first one showing a selection of products through checkboxes (col B), the second one showing checkboxes for a given criterion 1 (col C), the third one showing those for a given criterion 2 (col D).

My actual table currently has about 50 rows (products) and 40 columns (criteria). In an abridged version it looks like this:

I want to count the matching pairs of checked checkboxes for a score. The formula I have developed for this sample is not suitable because of the size of my table (50 rows, 40 cols), which is growing daily. This is the formula for criterion 1 (C2) (a bit of a hodgepodge):

Is there a better way to express the sum of all matching checked checkboxes in one formula?

I know I could add a "verification" column next to each to calculate each match, hide it and then sum that up, but I want to avoid that as I would have to do that for each new column (this grows daily):

Posted on May 31, 2022 4:53 AM

14 replies

May 31, 2022 6:16 AM in response to Ralf-F

Not quite:

Columns C and E are independent. Column D (as per below example) is just an alternative way to calculate the score, but in a way that I want to avoid, because I would have to create a separate column for each of the 'Criterion' columns. I currently have 40 of these 'Criterion' columns. So:

• Total for column C: All rows will be counted as long as column B & C in this row are checked
  • Total for column E: All rows will be counted as long as column B & E in this row are checked

Hope that makes sense

May 31, 2022 6:41 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks!

No, the score is a sum of the values in a column. The score is a the number of matches between 'Selection' and 'Criterion X':

• column B 'Cr 1': 3
  • column C 'Cr 2': 2
  • column D 'Cr 3': 1

I'm aware that it's easy enough to just add the values in each column (B2:B8, C2:C8, D2:D8) for the score. But:

• Do I have to use a separate (auxiliary) table ('Scores') to achieve this? My data is growing on a daily basis and I'm looking for a solution that would ideally create that in one formula.
  • Is there no way to calculate the score for each column in a formula in 'Table 1' without adding extra columns or tables?

May 31, 2022 5:51 AM in response to invenio

Please confirm if I understand this correct.

Total for column C: All rows will be counted as long as column B & C in this row are checked

Total for column D: All rows will be counted as long as column B, C & D in this row are checked

Total for column E: All rows will be counted as long as column B, C, D & E in this row are checked

Potentially you will have 40 rows

May 31, 2022 7:08 AM in response to Ralf-F

Thanks. Actually my table is a lot more complex than I've shown here, which is why I need to avoid a separate table for the calculation. In addition, my table grows horizontally on a daily basis and over time vertically too. And I have to keep it in the one table.

I'll accept this as a helpful answer though.

Counting matching pairs of checkboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.