Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Complicated Back Up

Am I able to back up my computer if I canʻt see anything on the screen? I am sending in for service because of a broken screen after an accident. The entire screen is black.

Thanks for any advice!

Posted on May 31, 2022 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 6:26 PM

@steve359 is correct. However, it can sometimes be very difficult to get video onto an external display. If you connect an external display, but nothing appears, then I would attempt to blindly log into macOS by typing the first character of a macOS user account followed by the "Return" key which will bring up the password field for that account. Enter the password and press the "Return" key to submit the password. If you have more than one user account which begins with the same character, then you will need to try a password for each one. Just make sure to give the Mac enough time to reach the login screen. I'm assuming you have a list of users on the login screen. If you successfully log in, then video should appear on the external display.

The other option is to use Clamshell mode which requires you to connect the charger, the external display, and a USB keyboard & mouse. Power on the laptop and immediately close the lid to see if the video will default to the external display. Sometimes you may need to close the display immediately after the startup chime. Sometimes Clamshell Mode is hard to get working.

If you have another Mac, then you can try putting the laptop into Target Disk Mode in order to allow the other Mac to see the data on the broken Mac. If you have an M1 Mac, then this won't be an option without a working display.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data. You should do the backups before any problems arise. Waiting until a problem occurs may result in data loss.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 6:26 PM in response to sarainmaui

@steve359 is correct. However, it can sometimes be very difficult to get video onto an external display. If you connect an external display, but nothing appears, then I would attempt to blindly log into macOS by typing the first character of a macOS user account followed by the "Return" key which will bring up the password field for that account. Enter the password and press the "Return" key to submit the password. If you have more than one user account which begins with the same character, then you will need to try a password for each one. Just make sure to give the Mac enough time to reach the login screen. I'm assuming you have a list of users on the login screen. If you successfully log in, then video should appear on the external display.

The other option is to use Clamshell mode which requires you to connect the charger, the external display, and a USB keyboard & mouse. Power on the laptop and immediately close the lid to see if the video will default to the external display. Sometimes you may need to close the display immediately after the startup chime. Sometimes Clamshell Mode is hard to get working.

If you have another Mac, then you can try putting the laptop into Target Disk Mode in order to allow the other Mac to see the data on the broken Mac. If you have an M1 Mac, then this won't be an option without a working display.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data. You should do the backups before any problems arise. Waiting until a problem occurs may result in data loss.

Complicated Back Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.