Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to iOS 15.5 my iPad no longer charges using standard charging cables

After updating to iOS 15.5 My iPad Air 4th generation no longer charges using third party USB <-> USB-C charging cables.

It will no longer charge from laptop USB-C transformers.

It will no longer charge from normal third party cables or chargers.

It WILL only charge using an Apple USB-C<->USB-C charging cable connected to an Apple charger.

I’ve tried rebooting and many using different cables and USB chargers but that didn’t help.

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 7:12 AM

USB-C is, of iteself, a specification that describes the physical connector. The USB-C specification supports many different services that require an appropriate cable.

For example, a USB-C cable may support Thunderbolt/USB4, but many cables do not. Others may support HDMI Alternate Mode, others not. In summary, USB-C describes a set of standards - not a single ubiquitous standard that supports all services and connections.

Also be aware that Certified USB-C cables incorporate active electronics within the connector. Uncertified cables may be far simpler, omitting electronic components.

As for why a particular third-party USB-C cable is not working in some circumstances with your iPad, without more information as to precisely which services it is intended to support, it is impossible to provide a definitive answer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 7:12 AM in response to alanrick

USB-C is, of iteself, a specification that describes the physical connector. The USB-C specification supports many different services that require an appropriate cable.

For example, a USB-C cable may support Thunderbolt/USB4, but many cables do not. Others may support HDMI Alternate Mode, others not. In summary, USB-C describes a set of standards - not a single ubiquitous standard that supports all services and connections.

Also be aware that Certified USB-C cables incorporate active electronics within the connector. Uncertified cables may be far simpler, omitting electronic components.

As for why a particular third-party USB-C cable is not working in some circumstances with your iPad, without more information as to precisely which services it is intended to support, it is impossible to provide a definitive answer.

Jun 1, 2022 6:07 AM in response to alanrick

I have now found several third party USB <-> USB-C charging cables that do charge my iPad. The problem seems to be not with the chargers, but that the iOS 15.5 is a lot more finicky about what cable is used.

Cables that worked on 15.4 no longer work with 15.5. These cables do however work with non-Apple devices which is not surprising since USB-C is intended to be an international standard. It is a shame Apple didn’t test this update better before releasing it.

After updating to iOS 15.5 my iPad no longer charges using standard charging cables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.