Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari changes original URL making it impossible to visit the site I want to visit

I type in URL A

Safari changes URL A to URL B

Can't visit URL A

This is ridiculous

I'll use Firefox

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 10:32 AM

99% of the time, Safari does not change the URL. Safari connects to Site A and the site sends a redirect to Site B. In this case, Safari is reacting to whatever Site A is telling it.

The exception to this is if you have some kind of filter or malware installed that intercepts this request (this is common with search engine overrides where malware redirects search queries to a different search engine.

Without knowing the sites in question, it's impossible to tell whether your experience is expected or not.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 10:32 AM in response to silver_mica

99% of the time, Safari does not change the URL. Safari connects to Site A and the site sends a redirect to Site B. In this case, Safari is reacting to whatever Site A is telling it.

The exception to this is if you have some kind of filter or malware installed that intercepts this request (this is common with search engine overrides where malware redirects search queries to a different search engine.

Without knowing the sites in question, it's impossible to tell whether your experience is expected or not.

Jun 14, 2022 6:28 PM in response to Camelot

There is something very wrong with visited sites. For while it worked as expected. Now, it keeps actual page from the site, that is not necessarily home page. For instance I get a single article form news site, over and over again, and I can’t drop it altogether form visited sites list. It comes back with the same page if I visit that news site next time. Or I get logout page from my bank.

it is insane.

And obviously it worked way back then, until Apple made “improvements”.

Safari changes original URL making it impossible to visit the site I want to visit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.