Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Back Up

I have just migrated from iMac to a new Macbook Pro M1. Using Time Machine can I continue backing up the Macbook Pro using the same hard drive that holds the iMac back ups?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 6:48 PM

Yes. TM may ask you if you want it to "inherit" those previous backups.

Refer to this excerpt from If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support:

You’re asked to specify whether you want a new Mac to inherit a backup if you do any of the following:

• Use Migration Assistant to transfer your settings from an old Mac to a new one.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 6:48 PM in response to Ray B

Yes. TM may ask you if you want it to "inherit" those previous backups.

Refer to this excerpt from If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support:

You’re asked to specify whether you want a new Mac to inherit a backup if you do any of the following:

• Use Migration Assistant to transfer your settings from an old Mac to a new one.

Jun 7, 2022 7:11 PM in response to John Galt

Time Machine history appears to have migrated from the iMac to the MacBook Pro, however I'm unable to back up the Mac Book Pro to the same external HD.

I opened Time Machine - Select Back Up Disc - I've attached the message that I get.

I wont to be able to continue backing up the MacBook Pro on the same HD that contains the iMac back ups.

Jun 8, 2022 7:51 PM in response to John Galt

I’m unable to find any reference to “case sensitivity” problems in relation to backing up from the new MacBook Pro to the same HD used to back up my old iMac.

Since I can retrieve files from the old Time Machine backups and considering that the HD is almost full, I have decided to decommission it and buy a new HD to back up the new MacBook Pro.

Thank you for your advice and assistance.

Time Machine Back Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.