Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Library

Currently, my iMovie library takes up 43GB of space on my computer. However, the files that I can see in the My Media tab are worth 6GB and the app itself is 2.5GB. What are the other 35GB of files and is there a way to get rid of them?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 11:24 PM

You can delete the files but that would disable all projects that refer to them. There is no original media in the iMovie app. The app contains only small sized thumbnails that refer to the originals in the iMovie library. I recommend that you not delete the original media or you run the risk of destroying all of your projects. Your projects would display black thumbnails with a question mark in them, and a notation of “missing file”. Also, unless you have your original media backed up elsewhere you would permanently lose you originals.

— Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2022 11:24 PM in response to Eisig_Liang

You can delete the files but that would disable all projects that refer to them. There is no original media in the iMovie app. The app contains only small sized thumbnails that refer to the originals in the iMovie library. I recommend that you not delete the original media or you run the risk of destroying all of your projects. Your projects would display black thumbnails with a question mark in them, and a notation of “missing file”. Also, unless you have your original media backed up elsewhere you would permanently lose you originals.

— Rich

iMovie Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.