Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has apple fixed the system data problem?

i have deleted my drive twice and eveytime i call in they give me some off the wall response. There is a serious problem on thier ha9 nds and they keep hiding it. how do you fix it? i have over 99 gb of system data.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2022 8:20 PM

You cannot control that category and the space used will fluctuate. One thing there you can control would be Time Machine snapshots; other than that, here is Apple's explanation of the category:

See used and available storage space on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

7 replies

Jun 1, 2022 8:37 PM in response to Esauari

Esauari Said:

"Has apple fixed the system data problem?: i have deleted my drive twice and eveytime i call in they give me some off the wall response. There is a serious problem on thier ha9 nds and they keep hiding it. how do you fix it? i have over 99 gb of system data."

-------

Riding of "System Data" (Formerly Called "Other"):

Back up your Mac, and then restore your Mac from the backup you've just created. For reference, refer to my User Tip:  Clear Other Storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Report back if that does the trick.

Jun 2, 2022 1:12 AM in response to Esauari

That's not a problem. That's how they designed it; as Microsoft is known to declare, "That's not a bug, that's a feature".

I agree it can be a problem for smallish disks, but it was done for a reason and only Apple knows why. If it turns out to be like those infamous keyboards, Apple will change it it. The best you can do right now is to give feedback to Apple.

Or you can do what I did and get the paid version of DaisyDisk to force the release of sequestered disk space.

Has apple fixed the system data problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.