Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos not loading

After installing Big Sur my computer will not access my external drive to access all of my photos. It "loads" up to 5% and stops. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! Tried all the suggested fixes on website and in the app, but nothing is working. VERY FRUSTRATING!

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 6:00 AM

How large is your Photos Library? Upgrading a very large Photos Library may take many hours without any visible progress, if the library is large. In that case let it run.

Is your external drive compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur? A Photos Library must not be on a volume, that has been used for Time Machine backups or is accessed over the local network. If the external drive has not been prepared as described here (Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support) move your Phots Library to a different external drive, that is locally mounted and correctly formatted, then try again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 6:00 AM in response to BigSurFrustration

How large is your Photos Library? Upgrading a very large Photos Library may take many hours without any visible progress, if the library is large. In that case let it run.

Is your external drive compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur? A Photos Library must not be on a volume, that has been used for Time Machine backups or is accessed over the local network. If the external drive has not been prepared as described here (Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support) move your Phots Library to a different external drive, that is locally mounted and correctly formatted, then try again.

photos not loading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.