Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 2021 12.9” screen flickers during FaceTime dark screen

Good day folks. I recently purchased an iPad pro 12.9 inch, 2021 from Apple store few weeks ago (May 2022). Recieved my iPad, everything was in good order. However, recently I’ve discovered that when I FaceTime with my partner when her background is dark with the lights turned off, my iPad’s screen is not pitch black as it should. Instead there are flashes of white for as long as her background is dark. Is this a product defect? I’ve tried adjusting the brightness and True Tone settings but it still persists. Should I contact Apple care and have the product returned?

thank you!

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 8:20 AM

To be certain of a hardware fault, your iPad must be tested and assessed by Apple - this being best performed as a “hands-on” test at an Apple Store or AASP. Remote testing by Apple Support cannot detect a visual issue - if one exists.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2022 8:20 AM in response to stewartutd

To be certain of a hardware fault, your iPad must be tested and assessed by Apple - this being best performed as a “hands-on” test at an Apple Store or AASP. Remote testing by Apple Support cannot detect a visual issue - if one exists.

You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Jun 2, 2022 7:34 AM in response to stewartutd

As described, your partner’s lighting conditions are perhaps less than ideal. Your partner’s camera may be trying to compensate for artificially low light conditions - slowing the frame rate and/or increasing exposure; FaceTime software itself may have some impact upon performance in very low light. Alternatively your iPad may have an issue, but for diagnosis you will need to be able to consistently recreate the issue for the Apple technicians to investigate.

Be aware that your iPad LCD screen, in common with all backlit LCD display technologies, is incapable of displaying pure-black. In low light, low contrast conditions, you will see and perceive a “grey” image - this is part being due to the uniformly lit backlight shining through the dark pixels that you see on screen. This is a fundamental limitation of LCD screen technology.

If you a fortunate in having a fifth generation iPad Pro 12.9”, your miniLED backlit screen benefits from zone dimming. With zone dimming, instead of having a single uniform backlight, individual areas of the screen can be dimmed - improving LCD screen contrast in dark areas by reducing (or selectively turning-off) areas of the backlight. This newer screen backlight technology can improve the perceived depth of blacks or dark areas of the screen.

If you can recreate the problem, you would be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider - where you will be able to demonstrate the issue for the technicians to assess. If remedy is required, you’ll be able to discuss your available options:

iPad Pro 2021 12.9” screen flickers during FaceTime dark screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.