Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently bought a used Mac Book. When trying to factory reset, it gives me the message that it is “write locked”. Is there any way to factory reset?

I recently bought a used Mac Book. When trying to factory reset, it gives me the message that it is “write locked”. Is there any way to factory reset?

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 4:41 AM

Does it/ did it operate at all when you first got it? If so, did you get any error messages when you tried to start it up?

It sounds like you bought a used Mac that was not properly prepared by the seller. If it failed to offer the initial setup routine when powered up, that is exactly the case.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 4:41 AM in response to Nanax3boys3girls

Does it/ did it operate at all when you first got it? If so, did you get any error messages when you tried to start it up?

It sounds like you bought a used Mac that was not properly prepared by the seller. If it failed to offer the initial setup routine when powered up, that is exactly the case.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.