Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best Antivirus for Max

Is Antivirus useful for a Mac and which ones are good?

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 4:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 5:19 AM

muguy is correct. none is needed. and, in addition to his response, i will recommend you read this informative user tip: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long article, but worth your time to read every word.

5 replies

Jun 3, 2022 5:33 AM in response to Richard Smith3

The recommendation for several years has been NONE. This is because macOS has its own built-in security.

This is not to say that adware/malware (which are not viruses) can get into your Mac if you ignore the Effective defenses… link provided by jeffreythefrog's post, and the usual recommendation is to use the free Malwarebytes to detect and remove any that may be present. One does not need to subscribe to Malwarebytes as it keeps working after the trial period, or can be removed via its Help menu.

Jun 3, 2022 6:51 AM in response to Richard Smith3

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Jun 3, 2022 5:30 AM in response to Richard Smith3

Trust me, an antivirus software is not necessary for your Mac because Macs are made to be basically impenetrable. Anyway, if you need an antivirus I personally suggest you Malwarebytes (it's definitely the best one I've ever tried so far) because it has a nice free version with a lot of functionalities and it's the strongest security tool (along with your common sense ofc) against malicious softwares.

What is the best Antivirus for Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.