Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB external drives./dock creating noise from iMac.

This was the determination of the Apple engineers that heard my audio of same. I am now trying to see if the is the problem by unplugging the dock/drives from the Thunderbolt input. [USB 3.1 into a T-Bolt input] It's an intermittent noise so I'm waiting.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Are there better-shielded cables that might mitigate this problem?

Dock is StarTech [ SDOCK2U313] Drives are 4 TB WDs

iMac 21.5″, 12.4

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 10:51 AM

https://www.tripplite.com/usb-2-0-high-speed-a-b-cable-ferrite-chokes-male-3-ft~u023003

You can also buy individual ferrite cores.

No idea if you're familiar with them, but the core reduces certain types of electronic scatter and radiation; it may do what you need.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 6, 2022 7:20 AM in response to exrobotguy

Well, I found my answer! The USB-A to USB-C adapter was not capable of handling the data through-put and the 'road-block' was causing the interference which caused the noise.

One needs a 'SuperSpeed' adapter. In Canada I got mine from Canada Computer which manufactures the 'ICAN' brand. In the sates the 'J5tech' makes similar items.

Thanks to all who helped.

USB external drives./dock creating noise from iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.