Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iPad 9 get a phone number so I can make and receive calls?

Can my iPad get a phone number so I can call and receive calls?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 7:45 PM

MikiSunshine wrote:

The iPad should have originally been set up with a cellular carrier. I don’t think you can set it up retroactively.

You're confused. Whether an iPad is set up with a cellular provider or not makes no difference. iPad does NOT have a cellular radio like an iPhone or Apple Watch (if Apple Watch is purchases as cellular). A cellular iPad, if set up with cellular service is for data only. This means a cellular iPad can access the internet without being connected to Wifi. It still isn't a cell phone.

If one owns an iPhone, using continuity, they can make and receive phone calls on an iPad (regardless of whether it is Wifi only or Wifi + Cellular).

This link explains how Continuity works --> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 7:45 PM in response to MikiSunshine

MikiSunshine wrote:

The iPad should have originally been set up with a cellular carrier. I don’t think you can set it up retroactively.

You're confused. Whether an iPad is set up with a cellular provider or not makes no difference. iPad does NOT have a cellular radio like an iPhone or Apple Watch (if Apple Watch is purchases as cellular). A cellular iPad, if set up with cellular service is for data only. This means a cellular iPad can access the internet without being connected to Wifi. It still isn't a cell phone.

If one owns an iPhone, using continuity, they can make and receive phone calls on an iPad (regardless of whether it is Wifi only or Wifi + Cellular).

This link explains how Continuity works --> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Can my iPad 9 get a phone number so I can make and receive calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.