Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2017 ipad mini. Recently it has become extremely hot when I am using it. What does this mean?

I have a 2017 iPad mini 4. Recently it has become extremely hot when I am using it. What does this mean? Is there something I can do to correct this or should I be getting ready to purchase a new device? Thank you in advance!

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 8:46 AM

For your peace of mind, after reading this support article:--> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support, if the issue persists, I suggest that you make an appointment (*) and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2022 8:46 AM in response to JillD51

For your peace of mind, after reading this support article:--> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support, if the issue persists, I suggest that you make an appointment (*) and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

Jun 4, 2022 7:29 PM in response to JillD51

JillD51 Said:

"I have a 2017 ipad mini. Recently it has become extremely hot when I am using it. What does this mean?"

-------

Troubleshooting an Overheating Mac:

I. Avoid Overheating:

Leaving it plugged in for a while, it may be overheating - so unplug it for a bit (placing it atop a laptop cooler and keep it in an open space and out of sunlight).

II. Also, Try Troubleshooting Power:

A. Try a New Charger:

B. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

Jun 4, 2022 11:15 AM in response to JillD51

An iPad may become warm when in use - warming perhaps being localised to a specific area. While the iPad may become warm, it should never become too hot to handle.

If you are using an iPad is high ambient temperatures, the iPad’s thermal management may automatically reduce screen brightness, reduce performance, or may switch-off entirely to protect the iPad and its battery from damage. Removing the iPad from a fitted case, if used, can aid cooling.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

Should you have any concerns, consider seeking advice directly from Apple support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

I have a 2017 ipad mini. Recently it has become extremely hot when I am using it. What does this mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.