Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set Preview for Mac "Zoom to fit" as default?

When I open a .pdf file on my mac with Preview, the default view setting is "actual size." I would like to make "zoom to fit" the default view setting, but I don't see any way to do so. I tried deleting the Preview .plist file, restarting Preview, but that didn't help. Thx.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 10:43 AM

The Prevew toolbar does not have a Zoom to Fit button on it by default, and you can open the View menu > Customize Toolbar… panel and drag/position/drop the Zoom to Fit icon onto the Toolbar, and then exit the customize panel.

With an open PDF, you can click that Zoom to Fit button (or press ⌘+9), and that Zoom to Fit View menu item is now selected, and greyed out. When you exit Preview, it should remember that Zoom to Fit setting for the next PDF that you open.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2022 10:43 AM in response to Arandel

The Prevew toolbar does not have a Zoom to Fit button on it by default, and you can open the View menu > Customize Toolbar… panel and drag/position/drop the Zoom to Fit icon onto the Toolbar, and then exit the customize panel.

With an open PDF, you can click that Zoom to Fit button (or press ⌘+9), and that Zoom to Fit View menu item is now selected, and greyed out. When you exit Preview, it should remember that Zoom to Fit setting for the next PDF that you open.

Set Preview for Mac "Zoom to fit" as default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.