Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to bring my desktop computer to the apple store when I purchase a Mac book to transfer files

Do I have to bring my desktop computer to the apple store when I purchase a Mac book to transfer files

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 6:39 AM

Preferably, you do it yourself using your Time Machine backup and Migration Assistant.

Migration Assistant will transfer user data, settings, and apps. You do need to be mindful of licensed apps and 32 bit apps which will not work on a 64 bit OS Mac.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Or if you wish more individual control, use Finder. Do not use your Time Machine backup though, and copy and paste. You'll need another external HDD if you choose to do it this way.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 6:39 AM in response to Vovopirate

Preferably, you do it yourself using your Time Machine backup and Migration Assistant.

Migration Assistant will transfer user data, settings, and apps. You do need to be mindful of licensed apps and 32 bit apps which will not work on a 64 bit OS Mac.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Or if you wish more individual control, use Finder. Do not use your Time Machine backup though, and copy and paste. You'll need another external HDD if you choose to do it this way.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.