Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photo library disappeared on my external HD. PH photos error Domain error 1000

My photo library disappeared on my external HD. Says 0 items on my external HD.

Have over 50,000 photos on external HD and was working on an album and tried to move a photo. Sent me some an alert about unable to complete action (can't remember exactly). Choices were to cancel or terminate. When I hit cancel, nothing happened. When I clicked terminate, the library just quit. Later I tried to open library and could not find. Says 0 items on my external HD. Got these messages: PH photos error Domain error 1000 or Unable to open the library LA Photos Library 1000. On MacBook Pro 2014, Mac OS Big Sur, recently updated to 11.6.6. External HD format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone. I got my photo library back. I tried the easiest solution. I shut down my laptop and disconnected the external HD. Waited a few minutes and restarted my laptop. Plugged my external HD into a different USB port, (just in case that made a difference) and clicked on the HD icon and my photo library appeared again!

In the future, when I update my software system on my laptop, should I keep my external HD for photos plugged in? I never do, but wonder if I should?

This system has worked for me but I wonder the best way to back up the photo library on an external HD. I have over 50,000 photos on it. I don't want it on icloud. My laptop doesn't have enough storage room. I'm afraid that putting on my other external HD on time machine will screw up the photo library (have heard it can do that. )

Thanks

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 12:48 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks everyone. I got my photo library back. I tried the easiest solution. I shut down my laptop and disconnected the external HD. Waited a few minutes and restarted my laptop. Plugged my external HD into a different USB port, (just in case that made a difference) and clicked on the HD icon and my photo library appeared again!

In the future, when I update my software system on my laptop, should I keep my external HD for photos plugged in? I never do, but wonder if I should?

This system has worked for me but I wonder the best way to back up the photo library on an external HD. I have over 50,000 photos on it. I don't want it on icloud. My laptop doesn't have enough storage room. I'm afraid that putting on my other external HD on time machine will screw up the photo library (have heard it can do that. )

Thanks

Jun 7, 2022 4:36 PM in response to Rich839

Rich, I have the WD Passport 4 TB drive. It has worked well except now. Just now I tried to edit the album and the photo app crashed and apple sent this report: The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

Warning: The declared constraints for <NSToolbarItemViewer: 0x7f84e64915a0 'NavigationBar'> were previously invalidated only because a declared constraint was snipped or manually deactivated. This indicates missing invalidation for a view's changing state that affects its declared constraints. To debug, set a breakpoint on `_NSViewRemovedDeclaredConstraintBreakpoint`

2022-06-07 15:53:32.943 Photos[2966:29294] Warning: The declared constraints for <NSToolbarItemViewer: 0x7f84e64915a0 'NavigationBar'> were previously invalidated only because a declared constraint was snipped or manually deactivated. This indicates missing invalidation for a view's changing state that affects its declared constraints. To debug, set a breakpoint on `_NSViewRemovedDeclaredConstraintBreakpoint`

I looked at the apple support link and I think now this is way over my head. I don't want to risk screwing everything up. Perhaps I will hire a tech person I have used in the past to look at this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Jun 5, 2022 10:12 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your reply. My external HD is plugged into USB port of my laptop. I only plug it in when I'm using the app, so it is not plugged for software updates or time machine backups. This external HD is solely used for photos. I have another external HD for time machine. I moved my photo library to it 2 to 3 years ago and it generally works. Now, I don't see the photo library in the finder. When I click on the HD icon, nothing appears. Underneath the finder window, it says 0 items, 4.84 TB available. Here is info on my external HD.

I don't remember exact sequence of events or details but I think the problem started when trying to change order of photos in an album. A window came up saying it was unable to perform that function. Choice was to cancel or terminate function. When I clicked cancel, nothing happened and the window still came up. So I clicked terminate. I think that's when the photo app closed. When I tried to reopen app, warnings came up such as Unable to open the library 1000 or PH Photos Error Domain error 1000. I would appreciate any help? Do you think it might help to shut down laptop and reboot? Or would that make it worse? Thanks

Jun 5, 2022 12:01 PM in response to TonyCollinet

No. This is what worries me. When I click on HD icon, nothing appears. The photo library used to appear. Also on the bottom of the finder box it says 0 items, 4.84 Tb available. I'm hoping that the photos are still hiding in the Tb that has been used.

Thinking of shutting down and rebooting laptop and also removing and reinserting USB from HD to see if that works. Would that do something bad?

Jun 5, 2022 12:09 PM in response to linda san mateo

It is possible that your external drive has failed. Go to Utilities/Disk Utility on your Mac and run a First Aid Check on the drive.

Try to copy some random files to the disc and see if it reads them.

If the drive has failed, you will need to resort to data recovery software to see if you can retrieve your data. Or, you can take the drive to a commercial store that offers data recovery services.

-- Rich

Jun 6, 2022 10:03 PM in response to linda san mateo

Even if the library appeared again, do yourself the favour and run the check with Disk Utility recommended by Rich, it you have not yet done so. All drives will fail sooner or later, but usually they are dying slowly, and we have time to rescue our data, if we notice it soon enough.

And keep always a backup copy of your library on a different drive. I am keeping two backup copies of my Photos Libraries on different drives.

Jun 7, 2022 9:21 AM in response to Rich839

I am now able to access my photo library on my external HD. But as Leonie and you suggested I tried to use first aid on the disk utility and got this message, "first aid process has failed. Backup data on this volume. Volume could not be unmounted. Operation failed." This worries me.

So before I continue I need to get another external HD to back up this external HD. Right?

Jun 7, 2022 9:56 AM in response to linda san mateo

Yup. That's troubling. I wouldn't trust the drive any longer. I'd get a new drive.

Recently I had an external drive constantly return the message "Disk not properly ejected" when I hadn't ejected or unplugged the drive. In the morning there would be five such messages on my desktop. I backed it up to a new drive and took the old one out of service. The new drive works fine even when plugged into the same socket.

-- Rich

Jun 7, 2022 3:46 PM in response to linda san mateo

Everybody has their own favorite external drive brands to use. You should be able to format any of them to be compatible with Apple.

I use the WD Passport 4TB drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Drive-WDBA2F0050BBL-WESN/dp/B07VTNW4ZQ/ref=asc_df_B07VX8HHFK/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416652333997&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1790515934920997169&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031916&hvtargid=pla-827344056645&ref=&adgrpid=100759324064&th=1

OWC also makes a good drive.

If you intend to store an iMovie library or a Photos app library on the drive it should be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.

-- Rich

Jun 7, 2022 6:17 PM in response to linda san mateo

You may be right. I have no clue what happened with your drive, as the error message is complete gobbledygook.

Before putting anything on the drive, did you format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS? It might also be that the drive was defective out of the box.

You might consider contacting Apple Support and talking to the techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here. To contact Support, click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen. Navigate to a place where you can insert your telephone number.

Sorry you are having this trouble.

-- Rich

Jun 8, 2022 7:22 PM in response to Rich839

Rich,

Thanks. Called Support this morning and she was very helpful and cleared up some issues. Told me before proceeding, I should make a backup copy of photos first.

Told me to copy and paste my library into different library on another HD. I've tried 3 times and just before it finishes it says the operation cant be completed because an item with the name LA Photos Library already exists. I copied the photo app labeled LA Photos Library and pasted into another external HD. No other library on that HD has that name. Perhaps I cannot copy it as an app with the photos organized in albums, etc? I would be happy to rename the photo library in other HD but it doesn't allow me to do so before it is copied.

Thanks for your suggestions. May try to call support again.

Linda

My photo library disappeared on my external HD. PH photos error Domain error 1000

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.