Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can previous seller report iphone as stolen and render it useless after selling it?

Hi,

I bought the iphone 13 as secondhand. I was able to log in the phone and activate "Find my phone" under my iCloud account. Can the previous owner still report it as stolen and render it useless? Thanks

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 2:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 3:04 AM

If you have signed the iPhone into you iCloud account and it is appearing in your Find My app the device is signed in with your credentials.

An owner of an iCloud account Marking a device as lost has to have the device signed into their account. So no, the previous owner can't do this.

By your description the previous owner has performed the steps in Apple's support document What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 3:04 AM in response to Leeck101

If you have signed the iPhone into you iCloud account and it is appearing in your Find My app the device is signed in with your credentials.

An owner of an iCloud account Marking a device as lost has to have the device signed into their account. So no, the previous owner can't do this.

By your description the previous owner has performed the steps in Apple's support document What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

Can previous seller report iphone as stolen and render it useless after selling it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.