Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not working on MacBook Pro 2020 + macOS Monterey 12.4 update not working either

Hi, was wondering if anybody could help me. Messages on my mac have stopped working and it either shows the log in screen (I tried logging in multiple times but it loads for about 5 mins and then shows a message saying "Unknown error occurred. Please try again.") or, if I force quit the app and reopen it, it shows my conversations but then, when trying to send a message, it says "Cannot send message. iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message." I've looked at my settings and everything is enabled for messages, so I'm really stumped on what to do. I've tried searching online for solutions but there's nothing specific to my problem. This has happened before though, but I couldn't get to my conversations before. I have also frequently had some problems with my iCloud so maybe it's a problem with that? On that note though, I'm also having problems to update my Mac with the newest update. I couldn't update properly before and had to boot into Safe Mode to do it (it did update but nothing changed e.g the tabs on Safari are still the same). It's possible that the Messages problem could be linked to the updates but I'm clueless on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 8:10 AM

4 replies

Jun 5, 2022 9:53 AM in response to t-ch20

If you are using third party apps / softwares / antivirus / cleaners /vpn services uninstall them they had corrupted the primary admin account , if new admin account is working and messages are syncing in it switch the account and later delete old admin account Delete a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Make sure you had turned on iCloud Drive , desktops and documents box and all inbuilt applications are turned on in Mac system preferences in old account , the iCloud data will sync in new admin account .

Messages not working on MacBook Pro 2020 + macOS Monterey 12.4 update not working either

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.