Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Image Mounter not working after Monterey OS Update 12.3 > 12.4

Ever since the latest OS update on my Macbook Pro 16 inch, 2019 it has broken my ability to install anything new (from .DMG and .PKG files). I've done some basic fault finding and have found:

• Disk Image Mounter doesn't seem to exist anymore,

• Opening images in Disk utility will let me mount a file, but then it just shows a bunch of .PKG files and no installer (have tried multiple different downloaded files from multiple approved sources)

• Right-clicking and selecting other apps to open DMG files shows no default 'app'

• When I search for any Disk Image Mount app, nothing comes up

Also, additionally, other apps have broken:

• .MP4 files are defaulting to try and open in "Books" and I've tried every method to reset this default and it won't change.

• Final Cut Pro and its plugins are doing strange things.

ETRECHECK REPORT ATTACHED

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 6:51 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 5, 2022 7:53 PM in response to JB_8877

DiskImageMounter is located in System => Library => CoreServices

Try right clicking on a .dmg file and specify DiskImageMounter to open it from that location.

It appears that the association of certain file types with their appropriate applications has been lost or damaged more broadly across your Mac. You may have to restore those by right clicking on individual files and indicating what the default application should be for that file type.

I am a little suspicious of the multiple third part disk utilities (WD, Seagate ...) and the Wondershare kext that you have installed, although I don't know if they are related to the above issues.

Disk Image Mounter not working after Monterey OS Update 12.3 > 12.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.