Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware on Macbook? How to scan or secure it

So I do agree nothing is hack proof. But I wanted to get a feel from other macbooks on how secure do they think their macbooks are and if they had virus or malware issues ever? I do web design and there were 2 instances where I feel malware was able to get login info or infect files from my macbook. Also my login info was stolen for a bank and emails which only would have happen thru macbook (maybe).

Do I need any anti-virus softwares or scans I need to perform.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 3:31 AM

You do not need any anti-virus for macOS as it has its own built-in security (including a read-only system partition) among other preventions. There is a reason that Microsoft issues a daily Windows Defender anti-virus software update. Anti-virus software will not prevent you downloading adware and malware that may be infesting applications downloaded from non-original vendor sites. Avoid download aggregation sites (e.g. macupdate, etc.).

We usually recommend the free to use Malwarebytes for Mac when adware/malware is suspected. You don't need a subscription, it will keep working (manually) after the trial period, and can be removed from its Help menu. It will detect any adware/malware and remove it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 3:31 AM in response to mk2552

You do not need any anti-virus for macOS as it has its own built-in security (including a read-only system partition) among other preventions. There is a reason that Microsoft issues a daily Windows Defender anti-virus software update. Anti-virus software will not prevent you downloading adware and malware that may be infesting applications downloaded from non-original vendor sites. Avoid download aggregation sites (e.g. macupdate, etc.).

We usually recommend the free to use Malwarebytes for Mac when adware/malware is suspected. You don't need a subscription, it will keep working (manually) after the trial period, and can be removed from its Help menu. It will detect any adware/malware and remove it.

Malware on Macbook? How to scan or secure it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.