Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP Clip Issues

Hi All, I am using FCP 10.6.3 on Monterey 12.4 via an iMac. I use FCP a great deal and have encountered an odd issue. On larger projects with many clips and audio elements I am finding tiny clip copies of about 0.5 seconds appearing without my intervention between moved or copied clips. They simply appear between two clips which, on playback, causes a 'jump' in the video. Expanding the timeline and deleting solves the issue. Does any have an idea why they appear in the first place? Thank you.

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 9:10 PM

How are you selecting the clips you are moving and copying, range tool, I&O points, double clicking? The reason I am asking is that I had a similar problem and discovered that I was not selecting the entire clip. Another problem I had was that I was not getting the playhead exactly between two clips when pasting a copied or moved clip. This cut the existing clip when the new clip was pasted. I solved this by using the arrow keys to position the playhead, not the mouse.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 9:10 PM in response to migill99

How are you selecting the clips you are moving and copying, range tool, I&O points, double clicking? The reason I am asking is that I had a similar problem and discovered that I was not selecting the entire clip. Another problem I had was that I was not getting the playhead exactly between two clips when pasting a copied or moved clip. This cut the existing clip when the new clip was pasted. I solved this by using the arrow keys to position the playhead, not the mouse.

Jun 7, 2022 1:47 AM in response to migill99

As a little addition to what Larrie said: this can happen more easily if the timeline is zoomed out considerably. Two things that may help in this instance are to zoom in a bit, or to turn on Snapping. The shortcut to toggle Snapping is just the letter N. With Snapping on, the playhead will “snap” to the edit point when you are very close to it. Also, there are shortcuts to move to the next edit point and the previous edit point (I am away from my mac and can’t remember off the top of my head, but one of them is a semicolon and the other is next to it.

Edit: It’s a single quote!

FCP Clip Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.