Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help - Terminal.app keeps crashing upon reopening - macoS Monterey version 12.4

Hi all,

About a few months ago, my custom Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019) started randomly shutdown (with a strong rapid fan sound), and complained about memory hash mismatch. Two weeks ago, I re-installed macOS Monterey 12.4 and the random shutdowns seem reduced, but still persist every now and then. The memory hash mismatch is gone, but not the freezing and random restart.

Last night, a similar episode happened and once I restarted, I cannot open Terminal.app anymore. Every time I tried opening Terminal.app, it gives me the following error:

The report seems to suggest there was a segmentation fault.

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00006000c46fbeff

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x00006000c46fbeff

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11

Terminating Process: exc handler [42958]

I have tried:

1. Deleting the terminal plist from my user library (thinking that Terminal may have kept some corrupted settings while the laptop restarted)
  2. Using Option-Cmd-P-R to clear any cache (thinking that whatever it is trying to access during opening persists in a cache)

However, no luck and I cannot find any instruction to re-install Terminal.app without re-installing the whole OS. At the moment, I am using iTerm2 but would like to fix my Terminal because I am worry there is something inherently wrong with the hardware.

Any comment would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 4:00 AM

Volume hash mismatch, cannot reinstall MacOS

In this specific users experience, the real issue was a Bad Memory Module that required an over night Apple Genius Bar Test with their Special Hardware and Software that is only they have.

Even if one were to to perform the builtin AHT ( Apple Hardware Test ) the issue would not appear

Suggest Visit a Genius at an Apple Store

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 4:00 AM in response to saveyourwork

Volume hash mismatch, cannot reinstall MacOS

In this specific users experience, the real issue was a Bad Memory Module that required an over night Apple Genius Bar Test with their Special Hardware and Software that is only they have.

Even if one were to to perform the builtin AHT ( Apple Hardware Test ) the issue would not appear

Suggest Visit a Genius at an Apple Store

Jun 7, 2022 5:18 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks P. Phillips! This is very helpful. This morning more apps are failing to start. I freaked out and quickly booked an appointment with the genius :). As you have predicted, my Macbook failed the first 5-minute diagnostic test - something wrong with the RAM. Yay, I am very glad that it has a diagnosis - at least I know it is not software or random - and can be replaced! Phew. Now just have to wait for the parts to arrive.

Also learnt something (should have tried this at home first before going into Apple store), holding 'D' while restarting will activate the hardware diagnostic tool. Thanks for your help.

Please help - Terminal.app keeps crashing upon reopening - macoS Monterey version 12.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.