Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant

Am running Migration assistant AFTER setting up my account on a new Mac. The Assistant prompts me to set up a new account and password as I prepare to move. How do I migrate files to my EXISTING account?

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 8:16 PM

The only headache-free method of having an existing account migrated from old to new device is to use Setup Assistant when you are first setting up the new machine; it will establish and move your account for you.Migration Assistant cannot do that as it expects to create an account for you, so you will wind up with two.

You can start over using recovery and then Setup Assistant.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 8:16 PM in response to Rosey255a

The only headache-free method of having an existing account migrated from old to new device is to use Setup Assistant when you are first setting up the new machine; it will establish and move your account for you.Migration Assistant cannot do that as it expects to create an account for you, so you will wind up with two.

You can start over using recovery and then Setup Assistant.

Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.