Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how old is my ipad

I have the serial number and model number. I want to know the exact age of my iPad. This is the fifth time I’ve attempted to ask the question as I keep being told my session has expired after three minutes. Awesome.

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 8:45 AM

Your device serial number cannot be used to provide a definitive date of manufacture. The best that can be offered is to verify your estimated warranty coverage - the date of which will correspond with the date of initial activation.

https://checkcoverage.apple.com

7 replies

Jun 8, 2022 11:05 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I figured all this out after trying to find the "just simple" answer. Yes, I have the receipt. 2016 as I said. yes, I found out that the planned obsolescence is on all devices. Just like the "average refrigerator today lasts seven years" (which is a joke) basically, regardless of whether one thinks they have purchased a device or not, you really are just renting it. It's designed to eventually fail. As for "original" battery, being able to "just simply" replace them disappeared some time ago. "Just throw it away and get a new one."

Jun 8, 2022 11:27 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

Apple won't actually replace the battery in your iPad, but for the fee of a new battery, Apple will give you a replacement (refurbished - actually indistinguishable from brand new) iPad with a new battery in it.

The fee is listed in this link --> iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

As you can see, near the bottom of the link it will cost $99.

That said, when iPadOS 16 is released in the fall, it will not be offered to iPad Air 2 devices. Your device is now at the end of its supported life and will be frozen at iPadOS 15.x. Only you can decide if putting $99 into an older device which loses support soon, is a worthwhile expense. It might make more sense to put that money towards a newer, more modern iPad. But that is your choice to make.

Jun 7, 2022 10:44 AM in response to LotusPilot

I love this answer. So, what could be used? No. That's not it. Try again. Nope. Try again.

It's expired. Truly absurd that there's no way to actually find out how old the iPad Air 2 is. Truly. Glad I save receipts since Apple can't. 2016. I'm trying to figure out why the battery charges to 100% and after about an hour of use on line it's at 86%. Apparently, what works out to be my rental of $15/month is expiring.

Jun 8, 2022 10:53 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

iPad Air 2 was released publicly October 22, 2014. It is your responsibility to save your purchase receipt. Not Apple's. Regardless of whether you purchased your iPad in 2014 or 2016, it's an old device at this time and if the battery is the original battery, it is doing what batteries do and that is lose their ability to hold a full charge as they did when new.

Jun 8, 2022 11:24 AM in response to lobsterghost1

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the "technology" of this iPad. I've updated to the latest software. It has all the updates that come along often that then have a learning curve built in, so by the time I figure out how to upload a file, or change a screen, or share, or save something, the newest new software comes along.

But... regardless... in the meantime then, in response to the battery wearing out, then, how do I purchase a new battery for it?

how old is my ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.