Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I force iPhone 13 Pro Max to use data over cellular while connected to a non-internet connected Wi-Fi signal?

I have a tennis ball machine that creates a Wi-Fi signal to be used as a remote with my iPhone. It works great. The problem is that the Wi-Fi is local and has not connection to data over the internet. This presents a problem with listening to music or any data driven app. Since I am not actually connected to the internet with my (strong) Wi-Fi signal, I cannot stream music. On one or two occasions my iPhone figured this out and ask to use cellular data. I agreed and both functions worked perfectly together. The problem is that the other 20 or so times the phone did not ask and I cannot fine a way to force this dual use of cellular data with a strong data less Wi-Fi signal. Any suggestions?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 12:43 PM

Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. If you don't want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.

About Wi-Fi Assist - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2022 12:43 PM in response to NewToiPhone04-2022

Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. If you don't want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.

About Wi-Fi Assist - Apple Support

Jun 8, 2022 8:18 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you SravanKrA,

I gave that a try with Wi-Fi assist both on and off. Either way it looked like cellular switched off and the phone tried to use the (strong) Wi-Fi signal that no internet connection. I have had random luck with trying to open the Safari browser and performing random searches while on this connection. If I get lucky the following window opens asking if I want to use cellular because my Wi-Fi is not connected to the internet. If I accept everything works. This window does not open every time and some times not at all. I was hoping that someone could lead me to a short cut that would give me this option immediately after connecting to my non-internet Wi-Fi. Any thoughts?

Can I force iPhone 13 Pro Max to use data over cellular while connected to a non-internet connected Wi-Fi signal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.