Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues clearing storage on Macbook in order to update to new macOS

Hi there, I am trying to update the macOS of my Macbook to Monterey, but am having issues, I think partly because it is still on a really old version (Yosemite 10.10.5). This Macbook has had little use up until recently which is why it hasn't been updated for so long.

It apparently will need 44GB free to install the update, but only has 31GB free after clearing out everything possible. There are no photos stored on the Macbook that I can see, but it says that 39.27GB is taken up by photos?

I have gone into Photos and cleared the trash folder in there (although there weren't many photos in the first place) as well as clearing the normal Trash in the dock.

I have tried syncing my iPhone to it to see if it has any old stored back ups, but I'm unable to do this because the OS version is too old to allow them to sync.

Any ideas on what else I can do to find these supposed photos or access any previous back ups?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 9:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 9:44 PM

Hey Treechange!

I would recommend first installing High Sierra, THEN Monterey. High Sierra is the OS which converted the format to APFS.

Once done, (You May still need more free storage, however High Sierra is more efficient with storage than Yosemite was), but if not, you should be good to jump to Monterey!

You can download then install High Sierra here:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Just click the link under the bottom section to download the OS using Safari.

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2022 9:44 PM in response to treechange

Hey Treechange!

I would recommend first installing High Sierra, THEN Monterey. High Sierra is the OS which converted the format to APFS.

Once done, (You May still need more free storage, however High Sierra is more efficient with storage than Yosemite was), but if not, you should be good to jump to Monterey!

You can download then install High Sierra here:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Just click the link under the bottom section to download the OS using Safari.

Hope that helps!

Jun 8, 2022 2:12 AM in response to treechange

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

And follow the previous suggestion on doing a Tiered UpGrade to High Sierra First and would add another Tiered upGrade to at least Catalina or Big Sur before using to Monterey

Caution - If this computer is running wth such a possibly small internal SSD ( 128 GB ) guessing, and only 4 GB RAM - would probably stop the upGrade process at Catalina.

Big Sur and Monterey would need at least 8 GB RAM and and Internal Drive being small, It is suggested to keep at least 15%  to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install.

Jun 8, 2022 1:24 AM in response to DiZoE

Thank you so much, that is so helpful! I was able to update to High Sierra which is great as now my browsers are working properly again. It also decreased my storage significantly, but alas, I am still 4.93GB short of storage to install Monterey. I think I have squeezed the whole thing dry and have tried everything I have read to decrease it more! But I am happy with High Sierra until I work it out.

Thank you again!

Issues clearing storage on Macbook in order to update to new macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.