Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 on external drive does not shut down or restart. (Mac power led stays on)

I have installed windows 10 on an external drive and use it with my mac mini. Boot camp (all the windows drivers) installed without any issues and windows seems to be running well. The problem is that when I shut down windows, it looks like it shut down (screens shut down) but the light on mac is still on. Same goes for restart. I have to hold the power button to shut it down so I can start it again. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the actual boot but maybe devices (the external drive). Any pointers to how this could be fixed will be appreciated.

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 2:33 AM

Seems I have resolved the issue. I have installed "Apple UVHC" driver offered through windows optional updates and that was causing the issues. So I removed the driver from "Device Manager" -> "System Devices" -> "Apple USB Virtual Host Controller" and re-installed using the boot camp driver.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 2:33 AM in response to Peter_Ka

Seems I have resolved the issue. I have installed "Apple UVHC" driver offered through windows optional updates and that was causing the issues. So I removed the driver from "Device Manager" -> "System Devices" -> "Apple USB Virtual Host Controller" and re-installed using the boot camp driver.

Windows 10 on external drive does not shut down or restart. (Mac power led stays on)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.