Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

enable root user on mac book air

Hi i ve followed the instructions from apple but its not changing i ve unlocked and relocked the directory utility but it still remains greyed out any help please i need this enabled for my studies thanks

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 7:06 AM

Is this a New Issue ? If Yes, what exactly changed on this computer ?

Is this an Old Issue ? If Yes, what actions has the user taken to fix this issue ?

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world.

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

Reliable , accurate, details and context will really help to pinpoint a possible solution.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 7:06 AM in response to danny1602

Is this a New Issue ? If Yes, what exactly changed on this computer ?

Is this an Old Issue ? If Yes, what actions has the user taken to fix this issue ?

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world.

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

Reliable , accurate, details and context will really help to pinpoint a possible solution.

Jun 8, 2022 6:55 AM in response to danny1602

Integrate Active Directory using Directory Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Note: Computers with macOS 10.12 or later can’t join an Active Directory domain without a domain functional level of at least Windows Server 2008, unless you explicitly enable “weak crypto.” Even if the domain functional levels of all domains are 2008 or later, the administrator may need to explicitly specify each domain trust to use Kerberos AES encryption.

Jun 8, 2022 8:25 AM in response to danny1602

danny1602 wrote:

Hi i ve followed the instructions from apple but its not changing i ve unlocked and relocked the directory utility but it still remains greyed out any help please i need this enabled for my studies thanks

You do not paint a very big picture , independent of trying to enable root... maybe you can say more.

there are all kinds of resources available, see if there is anything here—

Configure domain access in Directory Utility on Mac - Apple Support

You can always contact Apple Support

Contact - Official Apple Support

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Jun 8, 2022 11:00 AM in response to leroydouglas

this is what i m seeing i ve unlocked the directory utility but still only seeing this, i m trying to run a priviliged scan using nmap i have had it working using sudo but it keeps throwing an error telling me i need to use as root but i cant enable the root user i havent got access to an active directory or anything else its really annoying as i need this to work so i can put it into my coursework but i can't seem to get the root user enabled

enable root user on mac book air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.