Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Extension Error - error occurred with your system extensions

I am running 12.4 on a Mac Mini (M1, 2020).

This is a recurring error; the error appears on start up:

"An error occurred with your system extensions during startup and they need to be rebuilt before they can be used. Please go to Security & Privacy System Preferences to re-enable them."

I'm unsure of what to do next. In looking at Security & Privacy System Preferences, I do not see any "!" marks or anything else that would indicate that something is amiss.

Any advice is appreciated.

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 7:59 AM

David Ris wrote:

"An error occurred with your system extensions during startup and they need to be rebuilt before they can be used. Please go to Security & Privacy System Preferences to re-enable them."

I'm unsure of what to do next. In looking at Security & Privacy System Preferences, I do not see any "!" marks or anything else that would indicate that something is amiss.

try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

there was a bug in Big Sur....

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 7:59 AM in response to David Ris

David Ris wrote:

try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

there was a bug in Big Sur....

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Jun 13, 2022 8:23 AM in response to David Ris

Thank you for getting back to use.

The Sole Focus to be presented here is the File Extension Issue but will include one or two other important issue to consider

Q 1 - EtreCheck version: 5.7.2 (5247) there is a newer version for the Developers

A 1 - Run the Application and check in Preferences for Updates.

Q 2 -   Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

A 2 - This might a false positive as BitDefender is installed . Will cover this later in this reply.

Q 3 -  System extension blocked - There are system extensions awaiting user approval

A 3 - When Installing the Extension it may or may not require Disabling SIP for Recovery Mode and then Enable SIP Immediately there after .>>>>>> Disabling and Enabling System Integrity Protection - Apple ... <<<

Q 4 - Antivirus software: Apple, Bitdefender, and Malwarebytes

A 4 - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This will include BitDefender please read some of the may posting Specific to this Application

Specific to BitDefender

There has been sufficient advise / suggestions offered for the User to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Jul 3, 2022 12:03 PM in response to PRP_53

I am still working on this issue. I've removed Bitdefender and MalwareBytes, plus addressed other issues that were noted in P. Phillips response. A new EtreCheck report is attached.

Despite uninstalling Bitdefender following the routine on their website, this file remains:

com.bitdefender.vpn.neprovider

Is it a problem?

Also, the Runaway process is concerning. Any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated.

Jun 8, 2022 8:05 AM in response to David Ris

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world.

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The below suggestion is the next best thing to actually have an On-Hands experience with this computer.

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Jun 14, 2022 10:24 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi P. Phillips,

Thank you for the response. I will follow the path that you've laid out.

Regarding the EtreCheck version: I am not a developer, should I be using the developer version for best results?

I agree with you on Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. It was a requirement by my employer when we started working from home -- I will remove them and defend my position.

Thanks again.

Jun 14, 2022 10:48 AM in response to David Ris

David Ris wrote:

Hi P. Phillips,

Thank you for the response. I will follow the path that you've laid out.

Regarding the EtreCheck version: I am not a developer, should I be using the developer version for best results?

I agree with you on Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. It was a requirement by my employer when we started working from home -- I will remove them and defend my position.

Thanks again.

Q - " Regarding the EtreCheck version: I am not a developer, should I be using the developer version for best results? "

A - Nor am I a Developer. Within the Etrecheck Application Preferences somewhere in there is check for updates.

A - The HQ that may not know abut macOS and think ALL computers, be it Windows, Apple or Linux are all prone to Viruses

Jul 3, 2022 1:49 PM in response to David Ris

System extension blocked - There are system extensions awaiting user approval.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

System Extensions:

[Waiting for authorization] com.bitdefender.vpn.neprovider - version 3.1.1 (Bitdefender SRL - 2021-09-30)

Application: /Applications/Bitdefender/Bitdefender VPN.app - version 3.1.1

Jul 5, 2022 7:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis and P. Phillips,

Thanks for the suggestions. My last note was not clear enough. I want to delete anything related to bitdefender. However, bitdefender is not listed in System Preferences / Privacy & Security; thus nothing to approve. However com.bitdefender.vpn.neprovider still appears in the EtreCheck report - it is a remnant after uninstalling bitdefender. I am unable to find that file to delete it.

Luis -- thank you for the note on the 4TB drive. That is a CCC backup -- I will make adjustments to CCC.

David

System Extension Error - error occurred with your system extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.