Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the differences between the 9th gen iPad and the 5th gen iPad Air?

I’m looking to buy an iPad I’m only using it for personal use and mainly gaming. Can you tell me is there a big difference between iPad 9th generation and say Air 4th and 5thgeneration? I want something that has a speed and then it’s not going to like in two years not accept iOS updates.Budget is $450. Thank you,Mary

I have an Air 2 right now

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 9:25 AM

You can directly compare all models of iPad here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

The entry-level iPad9 will very likely provide all that you need for your stated needs. The iPad Air offers a step-up in technical features and performance - at an increased cost.

Whatever model of iPad you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as you can afford within your budget - as internal storage cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult; whilst I cannot make definitive recommendations, personally I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage - 512GB or greater offering a greater level of safety.  

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Consider also the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Only WiFi+Cellular models include GPS capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular connections, but provides this flexibility should it be needed.  WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GPS functions at all.

I hope this information and insight proves to be helpful to you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 9:25 AM in response to Marys1358

You can directly compare all models of iPad here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

The entry-level iPad9 will very likely provide all that you need for your stated needs. The iPad Air offers a step-up in technical features and performance - at an increased cost.

Whatever model of iPad you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as you can afford within your budget - as internal storage cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult; whilst I cannot make definitive recommendations, personally I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage - 512GB or greater offering a greater level of safety.  

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Consider also the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Only WiFi+Cellular models include GPS capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular connections, but provides this flexibility should it be needed.  WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GPS functions at all.

I hope this information and insight proves to be helpful to you.

What are the differences between the 9th gen iPad and the 5th gen iPad Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.