Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Specific Ringtone for Non-Contacts

Hi Apple, can you please make the ability for me to assign a ringtone for callers that aren't in my contacts list?

A default ringtone that applies to any caller not in my contacts, instead of me having to personalize every single contact in my contact list.

It would be so nice to combat SPAM calls this way. I only answer calls from people in my contacts, with rare exception.

I know I am not the only one who would enjoy this feature.

Please and thank you!

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 11:44 AM

Thanks Raz, but that's not really what I'm going for. I don't want to assign ringtones to individuals, that would take a lot of effort. I want to, instead, have the option to have a ringtone set for callers that are NOT in my contacts list. Does that make sense?

It would be easier to assign a non-contact default, instead of going through every individual contact in my phone. I have quite a lot!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 11:44 AM in response to razmee209

Thanks Raz, but that's not really what I'm going for. I don't want to assign ringtones to individuals, that would take a lot of effort. I want to, instead, have the option to have a ringtone set for callers that are NOT in my contacts list. Does that make sense?

It would be easier to assign a non-contact default, instead of going through every individual contact in my phone. I have quite a lot!

Jun 8, 2022 8:30 PM in response to razmee209

That’s a good system Raz, well done.

I still think my feature request is a good one for many people.

Turns out I have 2500 contacts, and I don’t want to go through all of them, because that time is valuable to me.

Also, I would have to do the ringtone assignment for new contacts, so it’s not a one time thing.

So Apple if you see this, make it happen!

Jun 8, 2022 10:17 AM in response to tonyglaser

This is a user-to-user forum. Apple's participation here is minimal and they don't read here for suggestions or feedback. You can let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

I'd suggest the same thing razmee209 suggested. Assign custom ringtones to people whose calls you answer. Also, consider Settings>Phone>Silence Unknown Callers. That way, people who aren't in your contacts would ring at all. They will still show in the recents list and can still leave voicemail.

Jun 8, 2022 10:01 AM in response to tonyglaser

tonyglaser wrote:

Hi Apple, can you please make the ability for me to assign a ringtone for callers that aren't in my contacts list?

A default ringtone that applies to any caller not in my contacts, instead of me having to personalize every single contact in my contact list.

It would be so nice to combat SPAM calls this way. I only answer calls from people in my contacts, with rare exception.

I know I am not the only one who would enjoy this feature.

Please and thank you!

Yea that would be your default ringtone for any calls, important contacts you can assign them a ringtone.

Jun 8, 2022 11:47 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks Idris, that is a good suggestion to silence unknown callers. But does that only work for callers with the "Unknown Caller" that shows up? Does it apply to callers with numbers that show, but just aren't in my contacts?

I do think silencing all of them could pose a problem for when I get a call from customer service, or some numbers that aren't in my contacts, but calls I'm expecting. You know what I mean?

Jun 8, 2022 11:49 AM in response to tonyglaser

tonyglaser wrote:

Thanks Idris, that is a good suggestion to silence unknown callers. But does that only work for callers with the "Unknown Caller" that shows up? Does it apply to callers with numbers that show, but just aren't in my contacts?

As per the setting, it means everyone except "people in your contacts, recent outgoing calls and Siri Suggestions".

Jun 8, 2022 1:07 PM in response to tonyglaser

tonyglaser wrote:

Same here it doesn't even take that long to assign a ringtone to a contact. AFter you do that, you hear the default ringtone, then you know its someone you didn't assign or not in your contacts.

That is how I set mine up.

Specific Ringtone for Non-Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.