Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-installing OSX Yosemite - without original owner's Apple ID

Hi there,

I previously purchased an iMac 2015 second hand. Have had the computer for years. Recently wanted to wipe my old files etc from it, erased the disk, signed out from iCloud etc.

Now when I reboot, I am prompted with the disk utility / Install OS X screen. Once I connect to the internet, I am required to Sign in to App Store (presumably to DL the old OS X). I do not have the original owners Apple ID etc. and every time I enter my own Apple ID I am told it is an incorrect ID/password combination.

Any solutions?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 7:02 PM

Unfortunately the original owner did you a disservice. They needed to wipe the machine completely with internet restore.

If they used open firmware password, all bets are off, and we can't rule out the machine could be stolen.

If you can contact the original owner, that's your best bet, as they can unregister the machine from their own Apple support registered devices page.

if you don't mind losing what's on the machine, and starting with a fresh copy of Yosemite command-option-shift-R may work to run internet restore, but you need to use Disk Utility erase as HFS Extended Journalled and connect the machine via ethernet to your modem for a reliable reinstall. If that fails, then the owner did not remove enough of their installation for you to start fresh and should have done so for you.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 7:02 PM in response to mikecarr

Unfortunately the original owner did you a disservice. They needed to wipe the machine completely with internet restore.

If they used open firmware password, all bets are off, and we can't rule out the machine could be stolen.

If you can contact the original owner, that's your best bet, as they can unregister the machine from their own Apple support registered devices page.

if you don't mind losing what's on the machine, and starting with a fresh copy of Yosemite command-option-shift-R may work to run internet restore, but you need to use Disk Utility erase as HFS Extended Journalled and connect the machine via ethernet to your modem for a reliable reinstall. If that fails, then the owner did not remove enough of their installation for you to start fresh and should have done so for you.

Re-installing OSX Yosemite - without original owner's Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.