Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

forgot passcode + reset without backup/iCloud

So I'm dumb:

I forgot my passcode to my phone. I've read the support article and understand how to do the restore option to my phone, but I don't think my iCloud has fully backed up my data and I'm wary of losing *everything*.

(1) If I choose the restore option and my icloud data don't restore my phone to how I had it (contacts, photos, texts, etc.) a few hours ago before the memory of my passcode left me, have I just lost that and there's nothing to do to get it back?

(2) I'm pretty sure I know what numbers my passcode is, I just mixed up the ordering. If I continue to take guesses at what the passcode is, will it eventually just brick my phone, or can I play the 1-hour-waiting game until I get it right? (to avoid potentially losing everything like in the above scenario in the first question)

Thanks so much.

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 5:20 PM

1) If you restore and the information wasn't backed up, yes, you will lose the contents of your phone now.

2) Each time you enter an incorrect passcode, you will be locked out for an ever increasing amount of time, so depending upon how many digits you had in your passcode and how much time you have to spend trying to figure out the correct order, it may or may not be feasible to continue to guess.

Once you made enough attempts to receive the message that your phone is locked, you have no further attempts and will need to restore your device as in step 1.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2022 5:20 PM in response to teagan72

1) If you restore and the information wasn't backed up, yes, you will lose the contents of your phone now.

2) Each time you enter an incorrect passcode, you will be locked out for an ever increasing amount of time, so depending upon how many digits you had in your passcode and how much time you have to spend trying to figure out the correct order, it may or may not be feasible to continue to guess.

Once you made enough attempts to receive the message that your phone is locked, you have no further attempts and will need to restore your device as in step 1.

forgot passcode + reset without backup/iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.