Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer offline, Not reading on MacBook Pro

Hey guys I have a Pixma ix6820 and recently been having trouble connecting to my laptop through usb.

Ever since I updated my laptop it no longer reads my printer. It just says "offline".

Ive re downloaded the drivers and still nothing works.

Been at it for about a 2 weeks now with no results.

I would really appreciate some help.

I use my printer for my small

business, without it I'm lost.

Please help :(

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 11:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 4:23 AM

Hi,

Have you tried to reset the printing system?

One should perhaps not rule out that the drivers (for USB) for some reason are not compatible with the exact updated system version.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-single-function/ix-series/ix6820?tab=drivers_downloads

The Canon iX6820 is a model listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support, and can thus be used without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wired (Ethernet) or wireless network connections. You may want to test AirPrint instead.

The following AirPrint guide from Canon Europe (for similar models, such as the ix6850) may be of interest.

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/

Also, as always, make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2022 4:23 AM in response to ocostudios

Hi,

Have you tried to reset the printing system?

One should perhaps not rule out that the drivers (for USB) for some reason are not compatible with the exact updated system version.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-single-function/ix-series/ix6820?tab=drivers_downloads

The Canon iX6820 is a model listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support, and can thus be used without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wired (Ethernet) or wireless network connections. You may want to test AirPrint instead.

The following AirPrint guide from Canon Europe (for similar models, such as the ix6850) may be of interest.

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/

Also, as always, make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Jun 10, 2022 5:47 AM in response to ocostudios

>I’m not sure which one to press to reset.

Just in order to avoid any misunderstanding, resetting the printing system is done on the computer, as described in the aforementioned article Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK).

The Resume/Cancel button on the printer is used for printing a network configuration report (directly from the printer). As I wrote earlier: "You could try to print a network configuration report by pressing and holding the printer's resume/cancel button. Release when six flashes have been seen from the power light (white). Such a report can be useful when troubleshooting. Please do not post/show the report here, though (it contains network information that should not be shared)."

I found this information on page 126 in the iX6800 series (PDF) User Manual (Mac).

The manual in question contains information about other ways of using the Resume/Cancel button. For example, how to print nozzle check pattern (page 88), how to activate wired LAN (page 255), how to activate wireless LAN (page 256), and how to restore network settings to factory default (page 266).

Jun 9, 2022 6:02 AM in response to ocostudios

Regarding resetting the printing system, have a look at the last link in my previous message. However, be careful. If you do not have access to the Internet (for the computer), you will not be able to download new drivers, if necessary,

You do not really need Internet access in order to use AirPrint. You could just use a local network (wired or wireless) for printing purposes only. One way of doing this would be to use an old/spare Wi-Fi router. Almost any make/model should work (can be found, for example, in a thrift shop for a few dollars, if not already available).

You could connect the printer by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports of the old router. Alternatively, the printer could be wirelessly connected. The WAN (Internet) port of the router can remain unused. The Mac computer can be wired (Ethernet) or wirelessly connected to the router.

There are also dedicated "travel routers" (without or with mobile broadband).

Jun 9, 2022 5:15 PM in response to ocostudios

Thank you.

An iPhone personal hotspot is not a real router, even though something like three to five computers/devices can connect (depending on the carrier). I was interested in the 192.168.114.2, since that appears to indicate a networked printer. Is there any change regarding printing with the personal hotspot on or off?

You could try to print a network configuration report by pressing and holding the printer's resume/cancel button. Release when six flashes have been seen from the power light (white). Such a report can be useful when troubleshooting. Please do not post/show the report here, though (it contains network information that should not be shared).

Do you have access to (or could borrow) an old/decommissioned router that could be used just for a test (without connecting it to the Internet)?

Jun 9, 2022 6:57 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Yes I never use it for printer itself or even connecting the printer, only to download softwares or drivers and I simply turn it off. And before I would just connect my printer via usb and my laptop would automatically connect to it. But it no longer does that since the update. And sadly I do not, we live far out in the country and never had one before. Would that really be my last option in order to get it working? :/ I really appreciate your help.

Jun 9, 2022 7:54 PM in response to ocostudios

The driver from Canon (link above) is said to support macOS 12. However, the release date was rather early, so I do not know whether the driver is suitable for the latest macOS 12.x versions. With your printer, apparently not, so far.

I guess that you tried to reset the printing system without luck.

So, it seems to be a good idea to at least test a wired (Ethernet) or wireless network connection via a router. You could then check whether there would be any change with the downloaded driver when the printer is networked (perhaps not). You could also make an attempt to use the driverless AirPrint technology (which is compatible with macOS). The hardware investment should be minimal (possibly less than USD 10) if you could locate a used router of some kind (and a couple of standard Ethernet cables) in a second-hand shop. It should be a Wi-Fi router with two to four Ethernet (LAN) ports. This would of course be an experiment. It may or may not work, so no guarantees.

Jun 10, 2022 7:07 AM in response to ocostudios

The following setup articles could perhaps be of interest to you once a Wi-Fi router has been found.

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Tutorial/iX6800%20series/EN/TRL/trl-a0003.html

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Tutorial/iX6800%20series/EN/TRL/trl-0004.html (wired printer connection).

Easier.

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Tutorial/iX6800%20series/EN/TRL/trl-0003.html (wireless printer connection).

If you want to connect the printer wirelessly, look for a router that supports WPS = Wi-Fi Protected Setup (button or PIN method).

Printer offline, Not reading on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.