Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system data is eating up my m1 mac mini

I am having issues with Monterey eating my SSD on my m1 Mac mini The SSD is 250GB and I only have 11.6GB left. As you can see in the screen grab the system data partition is very large. Any ideas on how to sort this out?

Thanks

Mac mini, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 9:47 AM

Thanks for the response. Sadly it part of corrected the problem then it enlarged again!

However I was backing up to a NAS Drive. I have since removed the drive and now backup to a USB disk. The disk space has come back now that I am using the USB.

2 replies

Jun 10, 2022 9:43 AM in response to chama9714

Hi Chama9714,

Thank for posting your question in Apple Support Communities. We see that a lot of the storage on your Mac is being used by System Data.

This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources.
Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can’t manage the contents of this category. The contents are
managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac. You can manage your data that falls
outside the other categories using Finder or the 3rd party apps that created it.

More details here: See used and available storage space on your Mac

We suggest checking out the section, "Free up storage space in other ways" in this resource: Free up storage space on your Mac

Let us know if this helps.

Take care!

system data is eating up my m1 mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.