Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

chmod -RN meaning

Hello.

I have a problem with Adobe Lightroom. I've seen there's a script to fix it.

I'm curious and try to understand what the script does. I see this command chmod -RN.

For the chmod command, I know what -R means. But what -N means ? I can't find in the man.

thx

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 5:11 AM

4 replies

Jun 9, 2022 10:37 AM in response to vchan81

YOU MUST be very careful using the -R (recursively decent into all subdirectories), as if you point that chmod -RN /start/dir at the wrong starting point, you can destroy the functioning of your system.

I assume you are just reading the Adobe Lightroom script and wondering what the chmod command does, but just in case you are also learning new tricks, be careful using the chmod command with the -R option.

An ACL can be used to grant or deny permissions on a much more detailed level. For example standard file permissions are user (owner of the file), group affiliation, everyone else. With ACL's you can specify a specific individual (or multiple individuals), you can add additional groups. And with deny you can exclude groups and individuals that might have been covered by the user, group, other category. ACL's can also be attached to a directory with an inherit attribute so that new files being created in the directory will inherit a specific set of permissions and/or ACL's.

chmod -RN meaning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.