Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assigning a Child Apple ID to a device

I created an Apple ID for my child but can’t assign it to my child’s device. I also can’t change the birth date.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 7:32 AM

You can't add an iCloud account to a different Apple ID than the one it is tied to or is itself.

iCloud accounts are Apple IDs unto themselves so cannot be part of a different Apple ID as a secondary email address or anything like that

As explained before, to add it to a device, you would need to sign your account out of the device and sign in with the new one you just created.

If you need to then supervise or restrict the account, you can do so with Family Sharing.

Link-> Set up parental controls with Family Sharing on iPhone - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2022 7:32 AM in response to kae103

You can't add an iCloud account to a different Apple ID than the one it is tied to or is itself.

iCloud accounts are Apple IDs unto themselves so cannot be part of a different Apple ID as a secondary email address or anything like that

As explained before, to add it to a device, you would need to sign your account out of the device and sign in with the new one you just created.

If you need to then supervise or restrict the account, you can do so with Family Sharing.

Link-> Set up parental controls with Family Sharing on iPhone - Apple Support

Jun 9, 2022 5:59 PM in response to kae103

How are you trying to assign it exactly?

Have you signed in with it on the device in Settings->Account(top of settings), Settings->Media & Purchases?

To change the birthdate if its set to something over 13 years old, follow the steps here: link-> Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID - Apple Support

To change it if its less than 13 years old, you will need to contact Apple Support: click here-> Contact - Official Apple Support

Jun 9, 2022 6:12 PM in response to Phil0124

When I try to add the ID I created (iCloud email for a 10 year old) this message appears “You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account.” When I try to add the email as a secondary email this other error appears “the email address is unavailable try a different email”

Assigning a Child Apple ID to a device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.