Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power a pro?

Can i power my 2019 macbook pro with a lightning /thunder cord plugged into a dc adapter?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 11:41 AM

Lightning, no. Lightning is only for iPhones. The MacBook Pro has no Lightning port, so no way to even connect a Lightning cable.

Thunderbolt 3 / 4 / USB-C yes. That is in fact the only way to charge a 2019 MacBook Pro. The charger and MacBook Pro both have USB-C ports so you can use a USB-C cable to connect it to a USB-C charging brick.

Charge the MacBook Pro battery - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2022 11:41 AM in response to DanWeist

Lightning, no. Lightning is only for iPhones. The MacBook Pro has no Lightning port, so no way to even connect a Lightning cable.

Thunderbolt 3 / 4 / USB-C yes. That is in fact the only way to charge a 2019 MacBook Pro. The charger and MacBook Pro both have USB-C ports so you can use a USB-C cable to connect it to a USB-C charging brick.

Charge the MacBook Pro battery - Apple Support

Jun 10, 2022 7:22 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks again. I appreciate your follow-through, Phil.

perhaps giving you a little more background might help with an additional detail or two I am looking for.

One day when I didn’t have my regular power cord I wondered if the appropriate cord (usb b-c and DC adapter) could power the MacBook, perhaps temporarily.

Not charging it up, just supplying power when it is low to keep it running.

I worried the smaller wattage might be harmful to the pro?

I’ve always understood that under-powering any electronic device might be as bad as over powering it.

Jun 10, 2022 7:30 PM in response to DanWeist

Just plug it in and try, you aren’t going to hurt anything.

The laptop runs entirely on DC power; so if the adaptor can’t keep up, the battery will makeup the shortfall.

If there’s a power deficit, the battery SoC will fall, if there’s a surplus it will rise.

You’ll want a power adaptor of at least 20W to get the higher voltages of the USB-PD spec.

Power a pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.