Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube app on iPhone picture in picture not working

I have reached out to Google but have not heard back anything. For the past few weeks now the PiP function no longer works on my iPhone 13 or iPad running iOS 15.5. It worked flawlessly before and I am a Premium user. Has this feature been removed by Google or how do I get it working again?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 6:34 PM

Based on the country that you live in, if your video player app (YouTube) doesn’t support PIP right now, then you may have to wait for the developer to update the app for your country. This is what I found --> https://www.macrumors.com/2022/04/11/youtube-picture-in-picture-coming-soon/

Alternatively, you may go to youtube.com in Safari, play a video, and make it full screen. Now you can select the newly-added PIP button on an iPhone running iOS 14, and the video will pop out from the page. You can change tabs or navigate to different apps, and the video will keep running in the PIP.

See the pic below, a snapshot was taken on iPhone SE 1st Gen iOS 14.0.1

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2022 6:34 PM in response to Alex Hasss

Based on the country that you live in, if your video player app (YouTube) doesn’t support PIP right now, then you may have to wait for the developer to update the app for your country. This is what I found --> https://www.macrumors.com/2022/04/11/youtube-picture-in-picture-coming-soon/

Alternatively, you may go to youtube.com in Safari, play a video, and make it full screen. Now you can select the newly-added PIP button on an iPhone running iOS 14, and the video will pop out from the page. You can change tabs or navigate to different apps, and the video will keep running in the PIP.

See the pic below, a snapshot was taken on iPhone SE 1st Gen iOS 14.0.1

Jul 7, 2022 4:21 PM in response to Alex Hasss

I have the same issue. YouTube Premium was working good before iOS 15.5 was downloaded onto my iPhone 13, and iPad. Now I cant get it to work, all I get is the audio no Picture in Picture. I can't even get Apple TV to work in Picture in Picture on my iPad all I'm getting is the audio with that as well, and I've tried all the tips to fix it but no go... Frustrating.

YouTube app on iPhone picture in picture not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.