Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP 5mp conversion to wireless with macbook pro

Is there a way to operate my HP 5MP with wireless access? I have a 2017 Macbook Pro running on Big Sur 11.6.6. Several forums say it can be done but I don't understand the reported solution.

Thank you,

Suzanne Bader

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 12:39 PM

suzannepdx wrote:

Is there a way to operate my HP 5MP with wireless access? I have a 2017 Macbook Pro running on Big Sur 11.6.6. Several forums say it can be done but I don't understand the reported solution.

Thank you,
Suzanne Bader

if in doubt search the developers website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

HP LaserJet 5mp Printer - Software and drivers for

HP LaserJet 5p/mp Printer series | HP® Customer Support

HP—If you are still at a loss: https://123.hp.com/us/en/

about AirPrint

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support.

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2022 12:39 PM in response to suzannepdx

suzannepdx wrote:

Thank you,
Suzanne Bader

if in doubt search the developers website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

HP LaserJet 5mp Printer - Software and drivers for

HP LaserJet 5p/mp Printer series | HP® Customer Support

HP—If you are still at a loss: https://123.hp.com/us/en/

about AirPrint

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support.

Connect an AirPrint printer to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Jun 10, 2022 2:39 PM in response to suzannepdx

suzannepdx wrote:
Is there a way to operate my HP 5MP with wireless access?

Yes. This is what I used with a very similar printer (HP LaserJet 4MP):

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DP-311P-Wireless-1-Centronics-802-11b/dp/B0000A0VBM/

It is no longer available but you can probably find similar models.

Another potential solution (not wireless though) can be found in this old Discussion: Laserwriter Pro 630, Mountain Lion, and MacBook Pro - Apple Community

Jun 10, 2022 4:38 PM in response to suzannepdx

Regarding printer drivers, see HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update. Something like the HP LaserJet 5P version 19.13 driver listed in Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support should work. If necessary, generic PCL or postscript printer software can also be tested.

With the printer wired (Ethernet) to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi router, the computer would still have wireless access to the printer via the router. However, if you for some reason want the printer to be wirelessly connected to the router, the Ethernet-to-parallel print server could be combined with a Wi-Fi range extender with wireless Ethernet bridge capabilities (perhaps similar to the Edimax EW-7438RPn Mini) at the printer. An old all-in-one Wi-Fi-to-parallel print server may not support the latest wireless security standards.

Jun 10, 2022 2:03 PM in response to suzannepdx

Hi,

The HP LaserJet 5MP is a printer from approx. 1995, normally equipped with a parallel port and a LocalTalk port (the latter allows network connections to pre-1998 Macintosh computers). As an option, an HP print server (for Ethernet) was available.

Does your printer have an Ethernet port? If not, the parallel port would have to be used. There are two main methods if you want to connect the 5MP to more modern computers.

The first would be a USB-to-parallel adapter. This would allow you to use the 5MP as any other USB printer (provided that you can find suitable printer drivers). This is not a network solution, unless the printer could be connected to an older Apple AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express base station with a USB port (for printer sharing).

The second would be an Ethernet-to-parallel print server. There are a number of devices (TP-Link TL-PS110P is just one example). This would make the printer networkable (still provided that appropriate printer drivers can be found). The Ethernet port in the print server would be connected to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi router. The modern Mac (or PC) could connect to the printer via the router's wireless network.

HP 5mp conversion to wireless with macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.