Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Itunes is displaying duplicate copies of songswhen i open the App, but when i look at the files, there is only a single file. If i try to delete the copies, it deletes the file from the registry.

How can i delete the duplicate entry from the App display without removing the file from the registry?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 10, 2022 12:56 PM

9 replies

Jun 11, 2022 4:01 PM in response to ASTRO24

The music was added manually i.e. i purchased a cd, then loaded it to Itunes on my PC (Windows 10). This means that i can store the cds away in a cabinet, but still have access to all the music (I have over 3,000 cds collected over a long period of time) in one place. I am unsure that it may be an issue with Itunes as I have the app loaded on my PC and on my MAC Pro, but the content is different i.e. not the same music is loaded on the machines, no point having 2 Itunes apps with the same music. It is confusing as there is only one set of files in the file explorer, but two sets of songs on the Itunes app. No matter which one i select, they all play music, so both sets are connected to the single file, hence when i delete one song (as suggested for duplicate songs) it deletes the file from system.

Jun 11, 2022 5:58 PM in response to rstonbest

See Duplicate songs in iTunes - Apple Community. I believe you are describing what I term logical duplicates, two entries in the database pointed at the same physical file. It is possible to remove one entry, keeping the other, and not deleting the connected file. The script does this efficiently for each pair of logical duplicates saving you the effort of working out which to keep and which to discard.

tt2

Jun 12, 2022 1:05 AM in response to turingtest2

I have already tried this and it deletes the original files, so i have to retrieve them from the recycle bin. The problem is that both song titles are connected to the single file, so deleting either track, deletes the file from Itunes. to get rid of the duplicates, i have to delete one set of tracks then retrieve from the recycle bin to reset the tracks that are left. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, please see below 2 screenshots which demonstrate the problem.

Thank you for your taking the time to offer a way to resolve my problem.

Jun 11, 2022 4:17 PM in response to MichaelB2019

No I am not using home sharing as i do not want to "confuse" either of the applications, but both are registered under my name, so it may be that at another level (somewhere above the machines), the content of both apps are being combined, however, this should not be an issue as both apps contain different music content.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, i will try the get support route.

My Itunes is displaying duplicate copies of songswhen i open the App, but when i look at the files, there is only a single file. If i try to delete the copies, it deletes the file from the registry.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.