Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon printer set up for AirPrint not printing over wifi network

I have a Canon IP8700 printer which is set up for AirPrint & USB connected to iMac using 10.15.7 and shared. MacBook in another room on the same wifi network will no longer print from printer. It just hangs. I've reset the modem and router, rebooted all computers and printer, yet printing remotely isn't working. MacBook using OS 12.4. It used to work fine!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 12:55 PM

Hi,

• Canon iP8710
  • Canon iP8720
  • Canon iP8730
  • Canon iP8740
  • Canon iP8750
  • Canon iP8760
  • Canon iP8770
  • Canon iP8780

These are the models mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as printers supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. I assume that you have one of these exact models.

The normal requirement for AirPrint is that the printer and all Mac computers are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wired (Ethernet) and wireless connections.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/

>I have a Canon IP8700 printer which is set up for AirPrint & USB connected to iMac using 10.15.7 and shared.

Why is the printer connected by USB to the iMac? For AirPrint, the printer should be directly (wirelessly) connected to the Wi-Fi router, and all computers should be (wirelessly, or wired by Ethernet) connected to the same router. Using two simultaneous connection methods for a printer could cause difficulties. Please provide additional details about the setup.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2022 12:55 PM in response to we04ndy

Hi,

• Canon iP8710
  • Canon iP8720
  • Canon iP8730
  • Canon iP8740
  • Canon iP8750
  • Canon iP8760
  • Canon iP8770
  • Canon iP8780

These are the models mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as printers supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. I assume that you have one of these exact models.

The normal requirement for AirPrint is that the printer and all Mac computers are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint works with wired (Ethernet) and wireless connections.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/

>I have a Canon IP8700 printer which is set up for AirPrint & USB connected to iMac using 10.15.7 and shared.

Why is the printer connected by USB to the iMac? For AirPrint, the printer should be directly (wirelessly) connected to the Wi-Fi router, and all computers should be (wirelessly, or wired by Ethernet) connected to the same router. Using two simultaneous connection methods for a printer could cause difficulties. Please provide additional details about the setup.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Jun 12, 2022 8:50 AM in response to we04ndy

we04ndy wrote:

I have a Canon IP8700 printer which is set up for AirPrint & USB connected to iMac using 10.15.7 and shared. MacBook in another room on the same wifi network will no longer print from printer. It just hangs. I've reset the modem and router, rebooted all computers and printer, yet printing remotely isn't working. MacBook using OS 12.4. It used to work fine!

Solve printing problems on Mac

Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 13, 2022 2:52 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I know this reply will sound really bizarre, but the reason I had to set up the Canon IP8720 with both USB and AirPrint was the only way the printer would print envelopes was to use the USB setting.

AirPrint works fine with everything else. The original issue had been the dilemma of not printing remotely using AirPrint.

I went through the entire setup process again it is now printing remotely. Envelopes will only print locally using USB. Makes no sense!

Thank you for offering to help.

Jun 13, 2022 3:22 PM in response to we04ndy

Thank you for the update. It appears to make sense. A USB connection to the Catalina iMac would use printer drivers (from Canon), which I assume are installed. Generally speaking, drivers (if at all available/compatible) from a printer manufacturer may or may not add functionality. When AirPrint is used, no drivers will have to be installed.

In case of difficulties with AirPrint, and if the setup is OK, you could try the following procedure (in the exact order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the computers, and all other devices. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computers. Finally, power on all other devices.

Canon printer set up for AirPrint not printing over wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.