Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage Issue

I can’t update my storage for my iPad. I have 50GB on my iPhone and have only used 27.1, and have used 15.9 with my iPad. When I check my storage it has the available 50GB but, if I attempt to download an app, I only have 16GB. What do I do?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 7:21 AM

iCloud storage has nothing to do with the physical storage on your iPad or iPhone. In other words, no matter how much space you have in iCloud, it will never add more memory to your device. If you only have a 16GB iPad and you have used it's storage, your only choices are to delete things off the iPad to free up space or realize a16GB iPad in today's world is woefully lacking in storage and maybe buy a newer iPad with much more memory. Apple doesn't sell ANY devices anymore with 16GB memory. The smallest iPad sold today comes with 64GB and even that in my opinion isn't enough.

To better understand the difference between iCloud and Device memory, read this link --> What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2022 7:21 AM in response to kelice112

iCloud storage has nothing to do with the physical storage on your iPad or iPhone. In other words, no matter how much space you have in iCloud, it will never add more memory to your device. If you only have a 16GB iPad and you have used it's storage, your only choices are to delete things off the iPad to free up space or realize a16GB iPad in today's world is woefully lacking in storage and maybe buy a newer iPad with much more memory. Apple doesn't sell ANY devices anymore with 16GB memory. The smallest iPad sold today comes with 64GB and even that in my opinion isn't enough.

To better understand the difference between iCloud and Device memory, read this link --> What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Jun 11, 2022 8:51 AM in response to kelice112

Expanding upon Lobsterghost1’s comments…

It is impossible to increase the amount of RAM or internal storage in your iPad - as this is fixed during manufacture; what you have is fixed for the life of your device. You can, however, subscribe to a higher tier of iCloud storage - but this is not a substitute for internal storage, this being a finite resource:

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

You appear to have a base-model, with only 16GB internal storage, of which the Operating System (iOS) will consume a considerable proportion of your available device storage. With a space-constrained device, such as yours, you are always likely to struggle with available storage on your iPad.

If your internal storage is full, as illustrated in your screenshot, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data. 

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

“Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

Additional information about creating sufficient space for installation of a software update can be found here:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Storage Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.