Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get time Machine to select disk for backup. It seems frozen.

How can I reinstall the Time Machine app? The app is frozen and won't let me select a disk for backup.

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 4:20 PM

That app is part of the OS. You would have to reinstall the whole OS but I doubt that is the issue. What disk do you have and is it formatted correctly? Does it show up on the desk top?

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

13 replies

Jun 16, 2022 11:32 AM in response to rockwell23

You're most welcome.

see > Keep your Time Machine backup disk for Mac secure - Apple Support

and > Choose a backup disk and set encryption options on Mac - Apple Support

Personally I do not encrypt our Time Machine or other Backup drives. However it is a good idea, if you are gone a lot, have kids with flaky friends or have any other shady types hanging around with easy access to your Mac and backup drives.

Jun 16, 2022 7:44 AM in response to tbirdvet

It's not the external disk - it's Time Machine itself. I see images online of people being able to access external drives through TM including adding, deleting old, etc. My TM doesn't pull up that option. This is all it will give me. And when I click on the red "i" it just says "disk cannot be found". So I can't anything new or delete anything old. I can't scroll down on the screen at all, trust me I've tried.

I can't get time Machine to select disk for backup. It seems frozen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.