Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine broken after upgrade from Yosemite to High Sierra

Prior to upgrading the OS, I made sure that Time Machine had taken a recent backup, then turned it off. I proceeded to upgrade from Yosemite to High Sierra. However, after the upgrade was completed, I turned Time Machine on, and it failed, giving this error message:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to [ disk name ].

Time Machine did not back up because the backup disk was previously encrypted but is no longer encrypted.

I'm pretty sure the backup disk was encrypted, because I don't even know how to do that. So this error message is incorrect.

I remember upgrading another of my Macs from Yosemite to High Sierra about a year ago, and also had a problem getting Time Machine working. I called Apple Support and they were able to fix it. But I failed to document the fix, so I don't remember what it was. Has anybody else had a problem with Time Machine starting after upgrading the OS?

Mac mini, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 1:50 PM

I called in, and an Apple Support person and I figured it out. After the OS upgrade, in the Time Machine Preferences, the disk used for Time Machine is no longer selected. I had to click Select Disk, and select the Time Machine disk from the list of disks.

I then went to the Time Machine icon at the top of the screen and selected Backup now. No more bogus error message about the disk being encrypted. It started the backup.

While doing this, I noticed that the time machine desktop disk symbol wasn't the green time machine icon with circlular arrow, it was yellow, like every other external disk. I'm guessing it will turn back to the green symbol after the backup completes.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2022 1:50 PM in response to robroper

I called in, and an Apple Support person and I figured it out. After the OS upgrade, in the Time Machine Preferences, the disk used for Time Machine is no longer selected. I had to click Select Disk, and select the Time Machine disk from the list of disks.

I then went to the Time Machine icon at the top of the screen and selected Backup now. No more bogus error message about the disk being encrypted. It started the backup.

While doing this, I noticed that the time machine desktop disk symbol wasn't the green time machine icon with circlular arrow, it was yellow, like every other external disk. I'm guessing it will turn back to the green symbol after the backup completes.

Jun 11, 2022 1:04 PM in response to robroper

Yikes, have you restarted yet?

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Time Machine broken after upgrade from Yosemite to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.